Friday, June 29, 2007

Letter to my council member

Dear council member:

Ever since 9/11 we have had to struggle to maintain our rights to free speech. New Laws have been passed to restrict our freedoms in the name of security.

In the New York Times Today on the front page of the Metro Section, there is an article on a new bill allowing more regulations on anybody with a camera.

I see photography as a valuable tool for recording history and for informing a larger audience visually.

Please help. I have a degree in photography, it is my hobby and my identity. Without my rights to express myself and display my love of New York City, I will find somewhere else to love.

thank you
---------------------
P.S. here is the link, City May Seek Permit and Insurance for Many Kinds of Public Photography Hopefully you won't have to log in.

ARE YOU OUTRAGED? Look up your council member and tell them if you live in New York City. If you don't live in New York City, pick a council member and write them anyway, and express to them your feelings about this.

Thanks Lee, for encouraging me to do more than just read the article.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exactly, photography IS a freedom of speech. It is how the eye talks. Let it never be silenced.

-JeDi

The Humanity Critic said...

For them to ban photography is absurd, I'm glad you let your voice be heard..

Michael said...

Hey Forman,

I was talking to a couple of photographer friends in Tompkins Square Park on Saturday and they clued me in on what's happening. It looks like the police state is here ...

Chris Benjamin said...

scary stuff - photographers should flood them with ridiculous permit applications.