Wednesday, October 7, 2009

nothing to report

Maybe if I go backwards in time and remember what happened most recently that'll help get my brain rolling. The last car I had was really unique, while it had over 151,000 miles on it, the seat was super cushy, like a couch. I didn't need the pillow I always use to sit up higher. Most of the cabs, no, all of them have taken the meaning of the word bucket, in bucket seat, quite literal. Anyway, it was such a great experience floating on this big cushion while driving, I even had proper back support, it was incredible. But still, my butt was a little too low, and if I added the pillow I would be too high, and too close to the steering wheel.

The day before I got a 2009 car, the difference there was that every thing worked quietly and quickly, Most notably the suspension was perfect. The old car I got yesterday in comparison had me hitting the brakes for cab hailers and stopping one full car length away, I lost one ride that way to a car who observed the hail and had the space to pull in correctly. The car I got on Sunday had extra excitement built right in. The steering wheel had the shakes when I drove over 40 miles per hour on the highway, unless it was freshly asphalted. Fortunately my passengers were none the wiser. I say, that experience far outweighed caffeine for a quick pick me up. Nothing will keep you more alert, than a steering wheel with it's own will.

Saturday's car had less air in the front tires than it should've had. I usually don't pay attention to that anymore, as every Crown Victoria after 2007 has a warning light on all the time indicating improper tire pressure. In all reality tire pressure has a large margin of error, but these tires I noticed on a flat surface in a gas station in New Jersey, were way too low. The gas station was spectacular by the way. It was across the street from a closed diner from the 50's, and beyond the diner was a large valley with a road leading down into the unknown wonder land. My cab was perfectly lined up for a well framed shot with the cab in the foreground and the diner behind, but I was afraid to take a picture. I don't like going back to the car just to get the camera out. The price of gas per gallon was 40 cents less than the cheap stuff in New York, and also the gas attendant gave me a pressure gage to check my tires. The air machine was 50 cents, while most Manhattan places are 75, if they even work. As of this moment nothing really sticks out in my mind.


1 comment:

Gusgamashuq Abunoori said...

This was a really enjoyable read for me because I am all too familiar with being given a different cab every shift and having to learn the idiosyncrasies of each particular one. Then, weeks later I might be given the same cab again and it's like a one-on-one family reunion for me.

"Hey 8P38, how have you been lately? Long time no see. Oh I see you've been tuned up ever so slightly. Not rattling on the left as much but perhaps more on the right now."