Friday, August 8, 2008

Attention Saturday Morning Drivers:

From 7am to 1pm you will be confronted with this wall of happiness. From the Brooklyn Bridge to 72nd Street; Laffayette, then 4th Avenue, then Park Avenue will all be closed. And 72nd Street will be closed between Central Park and Park Avenue. All major street crossings will remain open, but be prepared for multitudes of bicyclists and pedestrians crossing when the light is against them.

This is a trial program which will be tested August 9th, 16th, and the 23rd. 


I'm on both sides of the fence on this one. It sounds like a wonderful idea, but right through the middle of the city, has any other city done this before? I know Cambridge Massachusetts is one example, however they close  Memorial Drive, a major road with only a few cross-streets in an un-congested area, also they close the drive sundays and not saturdays. 

I think it is a bit much to imagine that cutting circulation of traffic right in the middle of Manhattan can work on any day of the week. I hope that when examining this plan, city experts had examined the effects on traffic from the 5 boro bike tour, and the New York City Marathon.

Frankly I love the idea, but I'm pretty pessimistic on the income I will be making. I'll make sure to tell all my friends to take out their bike, their inline skates, and their skateboards, in hopes that maybe someone can enjoy the day. 

1 comment:

Clayton said...

i'll be driving too, but i'm kind of thinking that the traffic will add to the meter just like a friday day shift does...we shall see!